What IME are you using?  In the standard IME, when in portrait mode on a
small screen device, it displays full screen and does not adjust the size
of the underlying app because there is no need to because it can't be see
(so the IME is in extract mode to display the text being edited itself).

Much of this behavior is up to the IME, though, so someone could write an
IME that does what you say.  That is a problem of the IME, though, not your
app.

In newer versions of Android, the browser does set a flag with the IME to
tell it that it would like it to try harder to not go into extract mode,
but that is a flag it explicitly sets because it knows it can handle
getting into a situation with small space.

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Miha <miha.valen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have an activity which uses a custom GLSurfaceView. For certain
> operations, I need a keyboard, so I activate the keyboard manually using:
>
>         InputMethodManager imm = (InputMethodManager)
> getSystemService(Context.INPUT_METHOD_SERVICE);
>         imm.toggleSoftInput(InputMethodManager.SHOW_FORCED,
> InputMethodManager.HIDE_IMPLICIT_ONLY);
>
> The activity has declared windowsSoftInputMode="adjustResize" and this
> works as expected in portrait mode (the activity window is shrinked and I
> can pan around it). In landscape mode, however, the keyboard is shown "on
> top" of my activity and activity windows is not shrinked. This means that
> the user can not see big part of the activity windows and can not scroll it
> either.
>
> For instance, when you use the built-in browser in landscape mode, and
> when you click on an input field in the web page, the keyboard comes up.
> But you can still scroll the browser.
>
> Should I use some other flags when in landscape mode?
>
> Thanks,
>  Miha.

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer