Thank you again, Mark.

You say that "No device that legitimately has the Google Play Store on
it will ship
with less than 1GB of external storage -- it's a requirement."

This is getting interesting.

I checked on a new HTC One V.

There the Environment method getExternalStoragePublicDirectory()
returns "/mnt/sdcard", which cannot be used for anything. Trying to
write there fails.
The external memory is also reported as unmounted.

There IS about 1 GB memory however - at "/mnt/emmc", (which is
writeable) but that directory is NOT returned by any of the
Environment methods. This seems to be the required "external" memory
that you are referring to, but HOW does an app get to know that?

Regards, Terry