I did a little digging since posting this.  A developer at Microsoft named
Bill Buxton has an interesting time line on the history of multi touch ... I
think that this suggests that one (with deep pockets and the motivation)
might be able to argue prior art:

http://www.billbuxton.com/multitouchOverview.html

Perhaps the deep pocketed one might be Palm ... here is a recent news
article on some words between Apple and Palm on the IP ...

http://venturebeat.com/2009/01/23/palm-will-defend-its-ip-too-says-former-apple-spokesperson/

Jason Van Anden
www.smileproject.com