On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Josh Dobbs <joshdo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thhe only problem with these other outlets is the android users don't seem
> to know about them or even bother using them if they do know about them. I
> had my application posted on 3 of these such outlets for a week prior to
> posting my app on the android market. Not even one person downloaded the
> demo let alone the full version from these outlets. I posted my app on
> android market and had 3000 downloads within 2 or 3 days.

Users come to the alternative markets when these markets have content that
doesn't exist in Google's Market. Right after we launched, in October
(before Google opened up stocking of applications to the general developer
community), we saw a huge spike in demand and word of mouth was
exceptionally fast among the user community. On the day Google opened up to
developers, we saw a large drop in downloads.

Since Android Market is closed source and only on Google distributions of
Android, some developers do redistribute SAM on other, non-Google Android
distributions.  With our paid application support, we have a broader global
reach than Google will, so we expect to have a lot of content that the
Google Market won't have. This will help drive the paying user (many from
countries that can't even purchase from the Android Market) to the SlideME
Marketplace.

As device support expands, with alternative non-Google handsets emerging,
the need for alternative marketplaces becomes greater. So while Sundog is
selling his app on G1s and G2s in the US and parts of Europe, other
developers will be selling globally across a range of handsets.

Shane