My understanding is that modern Android "best practice" is to not use the
system-level menu button or system-level options menu anymore since such
buttons are frequently difficult to access or even absent on some devices.
I have gutted all menu access from my app as a result (I admit, it is quite
tedious to get access to the menus on some devices since you have to tap at
least once just to get a menu bar to appear and then again on a menu icon
to get the menu...and I'm not sure even that approach works on all of the
most modern devices).

What I'm not sure about is whether I can still rely on the standard 'back'
button or whether I need to add such functionality to my UI (add a soft
button on my screen) on the concern that some devices may not present a
usable back button to the user.

Any thoughts on this subject?