Thanks for coming back to my original question.  So, perhaps we can all
consider my situation from a higher level and discuss the possible design
options we might choose from (and which options are most in the spirit of
intended Android user experience).  Although I have a few Android apps, the
one I'm concerned with at the moment is a game and the back button is used
to move between the various "screens".  So, when the game launches you get
an on-screen menu of options (settings, scoreboard, play, credits).
Tapping those takes you to a corresponding screen while tapping the back
button takes you from those secondary screens back to the main menu (or
from the main menu it exits the app).  Likewise, while playing, the back
button doesn't immediately exit "play" mode back to the main menu but
rather first pauses the game.  From the paused view, a second back button
tap cancels play and returns to the main menu...while tapping the paused
screen (anywhere) resumes play.

That's pretty much it...and my question is whether I need to offer a
nonback-button method for these various actions?  Should each of the
secondary screens have an on-screen "return to main menu" button?  Should
the main menu have an explicit "quit" option?  Should in-game-play not rely
on the back button to either pause the game or cancel and return to the
main menu?  These are the things I'm thinking about with as far as this
discussion is concerned.

Thanks.