After not having touched it since July, I've updated one of my apps in
Google Play the other day and noticed that it was filtered out from a bunch
of devices I use for testing. There are no new features that would require
any new permissions, and the target-sdk remains at 11. (min-sdk level 3)

Turns out that Google Play in its infinite wisdom added permission requests
that aren't required for the app, at least not for the devices I've tested
it on over the years. BTW, this becomes obvious only after expanding the
version in the APK panel of the old publisher console, because only the old
console interface posts a warning about the new permission set.

With that, not only do I lose a substantial amount of reach. Even worse
perhaps, many users that already have the app installed based on the
original permissions, now fall off the upgrade path, I suppose. I'm not
going to rewrite the whole thing and go through the exercise trying to
figure out which Android SDK calls trigger user permissions adds by Google
Play. What a mess.

Anybody know a solution?

BTW, using the old interface, reactivating the July version results in the
following "error": "New APK version is lower than previous APK version."
(Well duh) and I can't delete any new upload, old interface or new. So I
can't even switch back to any of the old versions.