Both Stack Overflow posts your refer to assume that both Activities try to
control the display. But the whole point of his post was that he has one
that does not use the display at all. So these do not apply.

That said, I am a little surprised it works, too. After all, though there
is no requirement that an Activity do display, that is usually the case, so
it is the best tested case. I doubt the case the OP is doing is heavily
tested at Google, but he seems to have lucked out; perhaps because it is
less demanding to get it working and keep it working.

On Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:58:49 PM UTC-8, Tamilarasi Sivaraj wrote:

> This is not possible.
> You cannot have multiple activities running at the same time.
> And you refer this
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6692552/running-two-activities-at-the-same-time-on-the-screen
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11102337/can-you-have-two-activities-running-at-the-same-time
>
> Regards
> Android developer
> Trinay Technology Solutions
> www.trinaytech.com
> 5705750475
>
> On Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:23:21 PM UTC+5:30,
> ga...@deanblakely.comwrote:
>>
>> I have an app with a main activity that has no visible interface
>> (android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoDisplay).  The app is  started by
>> receipt of an SMS message in a BroadCast activity which kicks off another
>> activity (also no GUI) that does work and then sends an SMS message.  It
>> works very well; actually better than I had expected because it runs even
>> if other apps are running a foreground activity.
>>
>> Now I'm familiar with the Android Activity Lifecycle but I guess this
>> means that Android (I'm using 2.33) can run "many" activities "at once."
>> Even when I'm running a very active GPS tracking application that is
>> writing layers on a mapview, my "no-display" app starts does his work and
>> sends the results out on an SMS message.  The tracking app that was running
>> never even blinked.
>>
>> I don't have any problem (at least not programming related), I'm just
>> curious why this works.
>> Regards,
>> Gary

---