On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 7:30 PM, g...@deanblakely.com
<g...@deanblakely.com> wrote:
> not sure what you mean.

I mean that your BroadcastReceiver should not receive any broadcasts,
on Android 3.1+, until the user manually launches some activity of
yours once.

> If the user runs the app, it's a FlashLight app
> where the user can turn on the led to find his way around in the dark.

And so long as they use the "FlashLight app" at least once, then your
BroadcastReceiver will work, and should not until then.

> I have installed the app, never ran the flashlight, sent a sms message and
> it works.

Perhaps on an Android 3.0 or older device, or by reinstalling over top
of an existing installation that itself had run the activity.

This is covered in the Android 3.1 release notes:

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-3.1.html

(see "Launch controls on stopped applications").

I suppose that it is conceivable that SMS broadcasts include
FLAG_INCLUDE_STOPPED_PACKAGES, though that would surprise me.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 4.6 Available!

---
"Android Developers" group.