> You should set the result when your child activity is about to exit -
> for example I set the result from my child activity when a button is
> clicked and just before exiting it, e.g.:
>
> // in a button click handler
> setResult(...);
> finish();

This is the way they do it in the samples, but it makes not much sense
- I don't want to have an "exit" or "save" button; users should be
able to hit "back" (listening for "back" is my current workaround, but
it will probably fail under certain circumstances).

> The documentation for Activity mentions that "When an activity exits,
> it can call setResult(int)  to return data back to its parent."

Yes - it says so. But it doesn't say WHEN - this is my problem; I
don't know when to setResult efficiently: onPause() doesn't work,
onSaveInstanceState() doesn't work; listening for "back" ain't
failproof; listening for data changes is ineffective. *sigh*

> When you're getting a NPE what does you stacktrace look like?

Nevermind the NPE - it comes from RESULT_CANCELLED and Intent.getExtras
() returning null.

> btw, you shouldn't assume that the parent activity will outlive the
> child one - that is, the fact that your parent activity has spawned
> another one for result doesn't mean it won't be destroyed should the
> system need to destroy it because it's not in the foreground.

Yes, I don't.