On Mar 26, 2:59 pm, Stoyan Damov <stoyan.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Sundog <sunns...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael, it's not about what *apps* want. It's what the *user* wants.
> I am the user, and I want to launch an application, so I run it and It's on
> top.
> If it wants the "run alone" privilege, and I'm OK with it (or want it
> to be this way) what's the problem?

It's a hack that I think would ultimately result in a LESS rewarding
user experience. The problem is that it breaks the whole paradigm that
other apps (perhaps our next ones ;) ) are expecting. You have many,
many little processes that expect to be able to run in the background
for this and that, and allowing a "boss" app to run roughshod through
all that opens up several cans of worms. Yes, all power to the user,
but the user does have the expectation that their phone is going to
continue working.

For instance, would the user judge it a reasonable experience if their
emails, messages, phone calls etc. were simply ignored until the game
was finished? You or I might not have a problem with it, choosing to
deal with the consequences, but the average user is going to simply
say "hey, it broke my email".

The issue needs to be resolved, absolutely. This is exactly why I
raised my eyebrows that Java was being used at all in Android. But I
think there is probably a solution that doesn't ccreat more problems
on its own.

In my humble opinion. ;) It just strikes me as a hack.