If you have the "holiday devphone" build, it's either an actual
Google-employee holiday phone, or you've flashed a third-party system image
on some other device.  The latter case is an unsupported configuration, and
it would not surprise me at all if the Market client in that build simply
pre-dates support for paid apps.

If you install the official v1.1 system image for the ADP1
http://www.htc.com/www/support/android/adp.html then the Market client
should be able to access both paid and free apps, provided they are not
copy-protected.  (ADP1s cannot access copy-protected applications.)

- Dan