Gav,

Thanks for your reply.  I created a separate project for the tests and
the duplicated manifest file error is gone.
I now have another problem.
zlu-macbook:tests zlu$ adb shell am instrument -w zlu.followme/
android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner
INSTRUMENTATION_STATUS: Error=Unable to find instrumentation info for:
ComponentInfo{zlu.followme/android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner}
INSTRUMENTATION_STATUS: id=ActivityManagerService
INSTRUMENTATION_STATUS_CODE: -1
INSTRUMENTATION_FAILED: zlu.followme/
android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner

I'm not sure how to fix that as the instrumentation info is in the
manifest file:
    <instrumentation
android:name="android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner"
                     android:targetPackage="zlu.followme"
                     android:label="Tests for FollowMe."/>

I created a project for apidemos included in the sdk 1.5 and tried to
run LocalServiceTest using "Run as Android JUnit test", which is new
to ADT .9.
I got error about not able to find instrumentation info similar to
what I got above.

I tried to run with the command:
zlu-macbook:src zlu$ adb shell am instrument -w -e class
com.example.android.apis.app.LocalServiceTest
com.example.android.apis.tests/android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner
INSTRUMENTATION_STATUS: Error=Unable to find instrumentation info for:
ComponentInfo{com.example.android.apis.tests/
android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner}
INSTRUMENTATION_STATUS: id=ActivityManagerService
INSTRUMENTATION_STATUS_CODE: -1
INSTRUMENTATION_FAILED: com.example.android.apis.tests/
android.test.InstrumentationTestRunner
usage: am [start|broadcast|instrument|profile]

It's obvious that these tests can be run and I have some kind of
configuration issue but I don't know how since it's poorly documented.
Has anyone gotten this to work in sdk1.5?  Would the android team
please provide some detailed setup information so i can ideally run
these tests from with eclipse or at least be able to run them under
commandline?

Thanks,

Zhao