On Apr 20, 12:11 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Well, that's not the kind of setting that you should change in the
> user's back. Launching an activity allows the user to make a conscious
> decision about the way they manage their phone.
>
> JBQ

Who said I'm doing it behind their back?

I'm writing a notification scheme for a vendor who wants their users
to know, in an clear and obvious fashion, when they enter/leave a
roaming service state.  Part of that notification is the ability to
change some settings when they enter/leave roaming.  These settings
aggregate options for the notification scheme itself, roaming options,
and (hopefully) auto-sync options; ergo, launching a separate activity
just to let someone check/un-check auto-sync is bizarre...

BTW, there are plenty of other things you can do "behind the user's
back" that are just as important that are available (data roaming for
example.)

     Hans