> Since the current android
> emulator is like a G1 type phone, and phone systems are usually
> 8000hz, the hardware probably only supports that frequency.

Nope. My actual G1 seems to record just fine at 11025 or 22050 hz
(running The Dude's 0.8 cupcake build from xda-developers). But those
sample rates are not guaranteed for every device, so the best strategy
is probably aim for the quality you'd like, try/catch and eventually
settle on the quality you can get out of the hardware you happen to
have, whether that's a G1 at 44100 hz/16-bit or the emulator at 8000
hz or some new piece of unknown hardware that does 8-bit/11025 only.
Of course, a code sample in the SDK to show best practices there would
have been nice, since the exceptions thrown by AudioRecord are fairly
uninformative.