I've got a working solution to this similar to your hint about J2SE
projects.  Assuming your lib project is an android project, modify
the .project file to remove all Android builders and Android natures.
I removed the "resourcemanagerbuilder", "precompilerbuilder",
"apkbuilder", and "androidnature".  My lib project does not have any
resources so I don't know what happens in that situation; its just my
android code common to multiple projects.

The .classpath file remains unchanged:

<classpath>
        <classpathentry kind="src" path="src"/>
        <classpathentry kind="src" path="gen"/>
        <classpathentry kind="con"
path="com.android.ide.eclipse.adt.ANDROID_FRAMEWORK"/>
        <classpathentry kind="output" path="bin"/>
</classpath>

This allows the project to compile against the Android library
specified by the new "default.properties" file without manually
specifying the android.jar and your dependent applications projects
still compile in Eclipse and generate proper APKs.

This is still less than ideal, but it has allowed me to get back on
track.  YMMV.

-J