OK, well I give up then. I have done some testing in various scenarios
and have found that this is simply inconsistent. My view hierarchy is
not incredibly complex, nor is it particularly deep. What I do see is
that some times my checkmarks display properly, then after displaying
properly once in the application, they then display correctly
elsewhere, but sometimes they even display where they shouldn't,
specifically where I replaced some CheckedTextViews with my own
implementation of Checkable based on RelativeLayout since I had to
display other elements too. Sometimes, even though the checkmark
displays properly on normal view, when pressing the item in a list,
the checkmark expands to fill the list item. Even in an extremely
simple layout I found that includes a CheckedTextView or derived class
does not play nice in LinearLayout, particularly when a ListView is
also in the Layout. In RelativeLayout, the CheckedTextView only plays
nice when included before the other elements. So, it turns out I will
be completely dumping the CheckedTextView in favor of my own custom
drawn checkable and rewriting my application to avoid the
inconsistency of the CheckedTextView. Note all of this worked
perfectly fine until 1.5 so, apparently, something has gone haywire in
this iteration.