> 1. Thumbnail display. When I go back to the first screen of the
> application, I want to show an ImageView of the jpeg that the user has
> just taken. Current code, which doesn't work because it's not looking
> in the SD card:
>
>       bmp = BitmapFactory.decodeStream(openFileInput("photo.jpg"));
>       iv.setImageBitmap(bmp);
>
> This gives the error: "java.IO.FileNotFoundException: /data/data/
> com.android.filename/files/photo.jpg". How can I ask BitmapFactory to
> look in the SD card for the jpeg?

Use regular Java I/O to open the stream, rather than openFileInput().
Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory() will return you a File pointing
to the SD card, which you can use as the basis for building your path.

> 2. Uploading the jpeg - I would like to convert the jpeg to a byte[]
> array, to upload it as part of a FilePart. Again, how can I retrieve
> the jpeg from the SD card to do this?

Use the same stream as above, and read it in:

http://www.exampledepot.com/egs/java.io/File2ByteArray.html

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com