Well, the docs make it very clear that your key is extremely
important. If your laptop was stolen? Well, then your source code
would be gone as well, unless you backed that up. And why would you
back up your source code but not your key?

You can ask a question on the Android Market forum, but I doubt
they'll be able to help you. Data backup is simply one of the most
things you need to do.

As for your first point, of course you can uninstall and reinstall
with a different key, but as far as your phone is concerned, these are
two different apps. You can re-publish your app as a new app, but it
will not be available as an upgrade.