>  Why is it we cant reference java.awt within our android
> projects.

Because it is not there. Android supports a subset of JavaSE.

> Or I guess a better question is why was a lib that is so
> vital to so many other libs left out of android?

AWT, on the whole, is useless to Android, because it is mostly dealing
with its own heavyweight widgets.

Some individual AWT classes might be useful, but AWT in toto is not.

> I have managed to get the JAI source code (stripped version) to
> compile but the second I reference it I end up with
> java.awt.image.RenderedImage not being able to be found. I have tried
> including the rt.jar in my build path etc all to no avail. Compiles
> but wont run.

First, do not put rt.jar in your build path, as it will not work.

Next, you can solve this problem yourself:

1. Get the JAI source code.

2. Replace all "import java.awt.image.RenderedImage;" statements with
"import this.is.my.own.package.RenderedImage;" statements, substituting in
some likely package name for this.is.my.own.package. Do not use the java.*
or javax.* namespaces for this.

3. Get the source code for java.awt.image.RenderedImage from Apache Harmony.

4. Modify that source file to reside in the package you chose for step #3
and put the modified file in the corresponding spot in your source tree.

5. Try building. Repeat steps 2-4 for any other dependencies.

6. Try using the application.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com