Thank you for your answer, Dianne. Problem however is, that even the
new Dialog themed activity won't adapt to an orientation change if the
parent activity is fixed to portrait or landscape mode. It seems the
reason is the transparent/transluscent background of it. Once I create
an activity with an opaque background everything works as expected.
But I'd wish I could keep the blurred out effect somehow.