john wrote:
> Has anyone been able to react to phone calls without
> registering a background service to poll the getCallState() method
> repeatedly?

In an activity, or an unfortunately-long-running service, you can use a
PhoneStateListener:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/PhoneStateListener.html

Off the cuff, your BroadcastReceiver setup sure looks good, and there
are signs in the Android source code that Android is indeed broadcasting
that Intent, so I'm not quite sure what is going wrong there.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Warescription: Three Android Books, Plus Updates, $35/Year