Thanks, I wasn't aware of PhoneStateListener. Of course, if I want my
program to work consistently I need to get this Broadcast Receiver
working. I've had some very bad experiences with long-running services
(they tend not to run very long)!

Everything in the documentation says to use Broadcast Receivers
whenever possible and to always avoid Services when your program isn't
doing anything. I would love to follow the recommended model if it
actually worked...