my app would like to know if the phone or emulator's HOME screen is
displayed either by a way to detect (check some status or so) or
someone notify me (notification to interested parties).

In BREW, registered apps used to receive notifications if the HOME
(idle) screen is displayed. Based on that, apps may act differently.

Cheers,

Sherry