You can get the final picture size and set the preview size using the
Camera.Parameters object (getParameters/setParameters on the Camera
object).  If you implement the SurfaceHolder.Callback interface, as
done in the API demo code, then you have the size of the preview
surface as well.  I don't know what will happen with the preview image
if it's smaller than the preview surface (centered, left justified,
etc.), but it is possible to make the preview image have the same
aspect ratio as the final image (read: not stretched) with just a
little bit of math.