Giving this a little more thought ... of course this must be possible
- when an email appears in the NotificationManager it knows to open
and show the email that is announced.  So, can someone please give me
a clue as to how this flows?

Here is my code from the Service:

        public void show_notification(String title){

                String svcname = Context.NOTIFICATION_SERVICE;
                NotificationManager notificationManager;
                notificationManager =
(NotificationManager)getSystemService(svcname);

                Context context = getApplicationContext();
                String expandedText = title;
                String expandedTitle = "pp";

                //Intent startActivityIntent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW);

                Intent startActivityIntent = new Intent(this, MyActivity.class);
                startActivityIntent.putExtra("news", "goto pp 1");

                PendingIntent launchIntent = PendingIntent.getActivity(context,
0,
startActivityIntent, 0);

                ppNotification.setLatestEventInfo(context, expandedTitle,
expandedText, launchIntent);
                ppNotification.tickerText = title;

                notificationManager.cancel(NOTIFICATION_ID);
                notificationManager.notify(NOTIFICATION_ID, ppNotification);
     }

Like I said before, the Activity gets called - fine - thing is that I
want to have to get focus and then change based upon the info in
extra.  I cannot figure out where to receive the intent data in this
situation.

Thanks