Thank you all for your reply.

I've tried the above solution and it works perfectly. I was reluctant
to do so, since in the documentation it says:

"
public void recycle ()
Free up the memory associated with this bitmap's pixels, and mark the
bitmap as "dead", meaning it will throw an exception if getPixels() or
setPixels() is called, and will draw nothing. This operation cannot be
reversed, so it should only be called if you are sure there are no
further uses for the bitmap. This is an advanced call, and normally
need not be called, since the normal GC process will free up this
memory when there are no more references to this bitmap.
"

The same applies for calling the GC implicitly. It's something that we
should not have to do.

Anyway, thank you all.