I read through more discussion on this topic and realized that I need
to use a context sensitive menu to do any item specific tasks in the
list. I incorporated this in my code and my context sensitive actions
work fine now. One thing I have noticed is if I enter touch mode by
touching the edit box within the compound view and then long press the
edit box, I get the context menu items of the compound view as well as
the context menu options of the edit box (cut, copy etc.).

I guess that is the expected/desired default behavior, but what if I
want only the context menu items of the compound view, but not that of
the edit box's? What would be the best way to achieve this?