I'm writing an application that consists of a background Service and
one or several Activities acting as UI towards this. There will most
likely be several different UIs for this service that will installed
later on, like custom widgets or UIs. The question is how to solve
this in the most efficient way.

Is it better to only use Intents for communication between UI and
Service (sending control commands with Intents from the UI and
listening for Intents from the Service for state and data updates) or
should I prefer using IPC communication (AIDL -> Java Stub, binding to
the service etc..)? Since the UI might be started long after the
service is started, I would either need to use sticky intents to
signal current state, or have a very frequent intent sent by the
service if choose to go with the Intent-based design. Which one would
be the preferred way in that case?

I've read that sticky intents are much more resource consuming than
normal intents, but are intents more consuming than IPC directly
towards the service?

Also, is really an AIDL the right way to allow third-party
integration? Intents sounds better, since they are also asynchronous.

Please advice. :)

Thanks!

// Erik