I use SurfaceView for my game, tried normal View first but that was to
slow.
Problem is, it still is. The redrawing just isn't anywhere fast enough
for a game. So unless it is a lot faster on the real phone this won't
cut it at all.
Is it necessary to use OpenGL for games?

package com.android.shmup;

import android.app.Activity;
import android.content.Context;
import android.graphics.*;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.view.View;
import android.view.KeyEvent;

public class Shmup extends Activity {

    @Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(new GameView(this));
    }

    private static class GameView extends View {
        private Paint mPaint = new Paint();
        private int x;
        private int y;

        public GameView(Context context) {
            super(context);
            x = 135;
            y = 303;
            setFocusable(true);
            requestFocus();
        }

        @Override
        protected void onDraw(Canvas canvas) {
            Paint paint = mPaint;
            canvas.translate(10, 10);
            canvas.drawColor(Color.rgb(184,134,11));
            paint.setColor(Color.rgb(107,142,35));
            paint.setStrokeWidth(1);
            canvas.drawRect(x, y, x+30, y+7, paint);
            canvas.drawRect(x+10, y+7, x+20, y+27, paint);
            canvas.drawRect(x+5, y+27, x+25, y+32, paint);
        }

        @Override
        public boolean onKeyDown(int keyCode, KeyEvent event) {
                if (keyCode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_UP) {
                        y -= 3;
                        invalidate();
                } else if (keyCode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_LEFT) {
                        x -= 3;
                        invalidate();
                } else if (keyCode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_DOWN) {
                        y += 3;
                        invalidate();
                } else if (keyCode == KeyEvent.KEYCODE_DPAD_RIGHT) {
                        x += 3;
                        invalidate();
                }
                return true;