Thanks for your helpful comments, everybody.

2009/7/28 smartpixgames <smartpix.ga...@gmail.com>:
> In general, it's very frustrating that we have a good hardware useful
> for gaming, but a bad realization of very critical things for
> 3D-gaming and now it's almost impossible to develop quality 3D-games
> for Android...

Yes, agree completely.  The hardware is quite fast, and we want to
encourage everybody to program in Java for cross-platform
compatibility.

I think there needs to be a fast rendering path on OpenGL ES 1.0
without needing extensions as support for 1.1 is not guaranteed.
Seems clear that gl.glVertexPointer / gl.glDrawElements must be fast
as this is the obvious combination that anybody will try first.

Could somebody at Google bump the priority of this a bit?  It looks as
though that patch might still need work according to the code reviews.

Thanks

Paul.