Folks, apologies ... I have a very urgent request. Tomorrow I want to
present an Android application on the phone (not on the emulator) to a
group of students. I have a Samsung Galaxy running on Android 1.5.

I got it all hooked up and I can see the device using "adb devices". I
can also see it in DDMS. So the connection is fine. I even can install
the application on the device - but I cannot run it.

The main problem seems to be that my application cannot access the
corresponding local SQLite database. Everything works perfectly on the
emulator. I figured out that I also cannot access the data/data folder
on the devices. It says "permission denied". Then I found out that I
have to "root" the device. But absolutely no clue how I can do that.
Also installing the apk through "adb install ...." did not work.

What can I do in order to get my SQLite db on the device? Do I have to
root it?

Again, as this is really urgent (until tonight Wed July 29th) please!

Regards Christian