Mark - I just tried to push it through adb push .... onto the device.

I got the following error now: failed to copy 'database.db' to 'data/
data/packagenamehere/databases/database.db': Permission denied

It seems like the folder on the device is write protected and cannot
copy it onto there.

For installing / running the app on the device I only got the usual
error that the application has stopped. This is certainly related to
the missing SQLite database.

Any further ideas?