This site is using the same infrastructure as the Android Market and shares
a unified namespace, primarily to avoid "squatting" issues.  That is, we
want to make sure that if a developer submits an app via ADC2 that an evil
third party could not come along and put an app with the same package up on
the Market, before the legitimate developer could do so.  This would be more
of an issue for users than the developer, but it's a case we wanted to
avoid.
Thus, we are using a unified namespace with the Market.  While this does
mean a package rename in the future (and means a package rename today if you
want to submit an app published on Market after 1 August for ADC2), we
judged the inconvenience to be worth it to prevent that particular issue.

- Dan