Whichever criterion Google wants to use is fine, I just think it would
benefit both us developers and the end users to see "hot" apps for
different time periods.  An app that is brand new is thrown into the
mix with all of the other new apps on the one tab, and it's hard to
tell which ones are worthwhile.  If the user could filter the most
popular (some mix of downloads, active installs, star-rating, etc.) of
the day or week, it would be a very powerful and useful tool.  I offer
this suggestion up because I would use it all the time as an android
user, but would love even more to see it as a developer.  And
furthermore, I don't believe it is a huge effort for developers of the
market 1.6 upgrade.  When a user clicks on "Top Paid" or "Top Free"
for instance, hitting the 'menu' button will give them a time-filter
option.  It's a pretty simple tweak I hope they consider.

I would love to hear other opinions or comments (especially from
someone from the Googleplex ;).

-Graham