Maybe make another API call that allows killing the service,
notifications, and etc of an application except for alarms?  I think
other applications are affected the most by their alarms getting
totally wiped out by another application.

Too many task killing applications are using this API call.  I am sure
if a safer call is available, most of them will switch to it.