I made two trips to the local mall. First thinking t-mobile was going
to sell me a phone without a plan, no luch. Being a verizon customer,
I figured they they'd be kinder, but no luck. I even offered to pay
full retail but they insist that you activate the phone on their
network and then cancel it. I was never able to get a straight answer
as to what the cost for canceling was, even when paying full retail. I
found  an HTC Magic (brand new) on craiglist for $250.00. I'm assuming
that's a reasonable price.