On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Kieran <kieran.flem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you take the original res (HVGA for Android and QVGA for
> WM) you'll see that Microsoft never made a res smaller than the res
> everyone was used to.

Not supporting QVGA screens would basically leave out the lower-end market,
which is the bulk of device sales.

> I have no ides how they came up with 854 x 480.

That's a very standard resolution -- FWVGA.  Also, please, when you develop
your app, don't think of things as "I am going to design a UI for 320x480,
and 480x800, and 480x854."  Instead, design graphics for the different
densities you will support, and then do the layout for the smallest size you
will support and make sure it can adjust in some reasonable way for larger
screen sizes.  For most apps this is very straight-forward as long as they
have some data/content area that would naturally resize.  For things like
games this is often not so clear, but at the least you can target a few
common sizes and make sure your game centers itself or whatever on larger
screens from that.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer