I think you hit the 'nail on the head' Niko with your "We can't judge
Google based on knowledge we DONT have." - and maybe its the legal
team who are driving the car.

The tech side of Android, including this group's info-feeders and
strokers of the many considerable egos amongst us, are Great - and
more power to them.
But, if a publisher is trying to build a business plan upon
development on Android, there are no available timeframes around the
marketing aspects, and no avenue to find out whether or not the
marketing aspects are in hand. I.e. Is there a marketing strategy for
Android at all? Publishers have to base any business plans on faith,
hope, hunches and hearsay.

E.g. Unlike you, many publishers cannot sell their applications 'at
all' (to experience the low volumes;) because they are from countries
that are not amongst the current 9 where publishers can. e.g.
Australia is still missing from that list. No one from Google can say
anything about that - I've tried many info channels to no avail. Not
just a time-envelope of when it may be added, but even whether it will
'ever' be added (e.g. Will ads within free apps supersede customer
payment for apps entirely? Will Chrome OS become the main game? Should
we be moving more development to Flash and away from Java? I.e. In
this info vacuum comes speculation). Its not the programmers here
"whinging" (at my company), its the Business Manager.

Stepping back from the fray several hundred yards for some perspective
on why people may grumble a bit (whether or not they are
'programmers') - It is a remarkable thing that a company such as
Google, which is largely built upon search, itself built upon
information produced by other people and other companies (web-site
content; scanned books, uploaded video, etc), does itself make so
little of its own information available - and keeping it from its
early adopter developers and publishers, of all people. Personally, I
am surprised at how many people don't 'whing' at all.