On Nov 13, 2009, at 6:57 PM, Yao wrote:

> Another important thing is that are new contact APIs stable and public? Will
> they be changed in the next release?
>
> I've been seeing "this is a private method" many times. Contacts APIs were
> very stable before, but this time, new APIs  is a big change without any
> document...

Decent question.

Okay, so the current list of Contacts Questions For a FAQ/Samples as far as I
can tell is as follows. If anyone's interested in taking on one of them and
writing up a sample to contribute, chime in?  And as noted above, we probably
should make sure whatever we figure out for any of these things is /guaranteed/
public, supported API, not private API that just ended up in the Javadocs or
whatever.

---

1) How do I just get ALL the contacts under the 2.0 API?

  * I already posted an example of this, and I can readily turn something like
that into a simple compilable project.

2) Given a contact, how do I get all the phone numbers?

  * Ditto above.

3) Given a contact, how do I get all the email addresses?

  * Ditto above, save that for some reason my copy of Eclipse claims that the
ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.CommonColumns class does not exist.  So my
little sample from the other day doesn't compile for me, though replacing
ContactsContract.CommonDataKinds.CommonColumns.DATA with just "data1" makes
everything work fine.  (Now I wonder if this is a problem in my install of the
SDK, or if I misread the docs. Hrm.)

4) What sort of identifier should I represent a contact with in my local data,
so I can later get their most-current data?

  * There was a thread about this on the mailing list, which someone could
probably boil down into a sample

5) How do I set a contact photo?

  * There were SEVERAL threads on this on the mailing list, which could
probably boil down into a sample.

6) How do I add a contact to the address book from within an app?

  * There's been at least one vague thread on this, which... maybe can be a
sample?

7) How do I work with groups? (Create a group, delete a group, get or alter
group membership.)

  * I don't think there's been a good answer to this.

8) How do I add custom data to a contact?

  * I don't think there's been a clear answer to this.

9) How do I /get/ the nifty status messages and the source for them (a'la 'Away
for lunch' on 'Google Talk,' or 'eating a pie!' on 'Facebook'), so I can
display them alongside a contact in my own app? (Alternatively, some ask how
they can set the nifty status messages and have them appear in the QuickContact
bar or in other apps.)