I don't know if someone else mentioned this, but I want to stress that
99% of developers do NOT need a dev phone.  If you just want to write
android apps in Java and run them, any phone will do this.  Dev phones
are for if you want to do OS-level development.  I'd much prefer a
phone that can download any app to one that can't.  I have a G1 and a
Google IO phone, and not being able to see my own paid apps on the
market can be a hassle.