2009/11/17 Cédric Berger <cedric.berge...@gmail.com>

> In fact if you can have more control in 2.0, this will just help to not
> have all this task killers used so blindlessly by everyone.

Unfortunately I think that is unlikely -- I can't count the number of places
I have seen on the web suggesting to people to install a task killer on
their Droid to kill everything in the background.  And I even got to listen
to a sales representative at a Verizon store go through and install a task
killer on a new Droid and show killing everything with it before sending the
customer out the door. :(

One of the problems is that people have a certain model in their head about
how things work from their experience on Windows and other operating
systems, which generally doesn't carry over to Android, but gives them an
intuition for what is going on that is generally wrong.  Plus the fact that
its use -can- help if you do the right thing strongly reinforces that.

> thanks dianne for the explanation.
>
> And indeed memory is generally the main reason I find myself killing apps.
> If not, not only the phone slows down, but it may start killing other
> process to reclaim memory,ones I do want to be on....

Yep this is the thing we have been seeing -- at the end of the work on 1.6
we were finding our main performance issue was simply too much stuff trying
to run services, which wasn't as much due to 1.6 itself but more a
reflection of the growing number of applications that have been doing this
in the last year.  We were out of time to do much significant in 1.6 at that
point, but the experience rolled into the updated Service API and running
services UI in 2.0.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer