I accomplish this by simply sending the intent to the other package +
activity, e.g.:

                Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_MAIN);
                intent.setComponent(new ComponentName("test.another",
"test.another.MyActivity"));
                startActivity(intent);

There's no connection between the manifests at all; the intent is
simply passed via the system's usual mechanism, the same as if
test.another.MyActivity had been started from the Launcher.

String