> I am starting with listactivity. I was able to create a simple list
> view using ListActivity and Arrayadapters. The problem before me now
> is i need a screen which contains a few labels and fields and under
> them a listview. how to go about it ?

As we discussed yesterday, you define a layout, give your ListView an
android:id="@android:id/list", add whatever other widgets you need to the
layout, then use setContentView() in your ListActivity to load the layout.

> moreover whats the difference between layout and activity ?

Activity is an application component, akin to a window in a desktop
operating system. Layout is a description of widgets and their positions
on screen. A layout can describe an activity, a row in a list, or just
about any piece of a user interface.

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/declaring-layout.html

> Until now I thought one application one activity,
> but after looking Apisamples i found myself wrong.

An application may have many activities. In fact, the entire ApiDemos is a
single application with dozens and dozens of activities.

> is "busy programmers' guide to android dev" a good book ?

I like it, but, then again, I wrote it. ;-)

> Can I get a softcopy from somebody ?

http://commonsware.com/

The softcopy is inexpensive (particularly with the weak USD) and gets you
three books for that inexpensive price, including a set of tutorials to
provide you with step-by-step instructions for creating your first Android
applications.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com