No official conventions exist as far as I know.  It would be very anti-
social to store your files in the sd card root because of the clutter
it would cause (and I'm surprised that there are apps that do it).  If
you're confident that your application's name will be unique, you
could just create /sdcard/your_app directory and store your files
there.  I think that's what most people do.  If you're worried about
namespace collision, then the safest approach would be to create /
sdcard/com/foo/your_app (using the full package name).  IMHO that is
best practice, but not everybody does it that way.

If you think it's likely that your app would share files with other
apps (such as photos or music files) you might want to store your
files in the commonly-used directories for such, but I'm guessing
that's not the case for you.