Hello Dianne,

thank you for clarification. But I have one more question.

Everything you've said makes sense when we talk about internal
application files (configurations, temporarily storage whatever else).
However, there are few other cases. In my case I need to implement
backup/restore function. In this case I guess the user has to know the
directory where the files are stored (later backup files might be
copied to another storage). If the user can not configure this, then
he/she might have difficulties with finding backup files (at least the
directory is not obvious).

So I think that before writing backup files to SD card we need to let
user to specify the directory where these files should be stored. We
still can use API to preset directory selection screen with some value
(e.g., /sdcard/<application-name>/backups), but we want to let user
choose the directory, so later when device card is mounted to the
desktop, the user could be sure he/she finds the files in the
specified directory.

Does it make sense?