I also encountered this problem and can provide more information and a
work-around.

I type "adb install -r mumble.apk"

I get:
"
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
308 KB/s (20130 bytes in 0.063s)
Can't dispatch DDM chunk 46454154: no handler defined
Can't dispatch DDM chunk 4d505251: no handler defined
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/mumble.apk
Success
"

If I use "Debug" from eclipse, I don't see any error.   I think the
install fails silently and I am actually debugging the previous
version of my application.  (Confusing!)

> | Can't dispatchDDMchunk46454154: no handler defined
>
> If you convert that from hexadecimal to ASCII, it spells out "FEAT".
> It's asking the VM what features it supports.  In this case, the VM
> doesn't know what a FEAT request is, so the request is rejected (and
> DDMS makes appropriate assumptions).

But the "FEAT" request is the result of typing "adb install -r
mumble.apk" - so it doesn't seem that there should be any unknown
feature requests.

I discovered that "adb install" only fails when I have an eclipse
window (and its DDMS) open.

WORKAROUND:
exit eclipse before using "adb install".

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10.

Anyone else experiencing this?

-Paul