I'm sure bunch of divisions has nothing to do with your performance
problems. If you call glColor such frequently you are also calling
draw functions frequently (possibly with different textures) pushing
geometry in small chunks will kill you framerate (not to mention
pushing a lot of textures) try to optimize geometry and textures so
you can minimize number of calls to draw functions

--
Bart Janusz
www.beepstreet.com