Some other findings I wanted to share:

* The GPS sensor (GpsLocationProvider) must be doing something very
different because it is never affected by these issues. Why?

* Seems to have been broken this way on G1 with Android 1.1, was then
fixed in 1.5 (Source:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/a616773b12c2d9e5)

* GoToSleep function (called by pressing the power key) overrides all
screen locks and actually releases them --
http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en#uX1GffpyOZk/services/java/com/android/server/PowerManagerService.java&q=goToSleep%20lang:java%20android.git.kernel.org&sa=N&cd=3&ct=rc
-- which is why
I got the idea to restore the DIM_LOCK after the GoToSleep (in
ACTION_SCREEN_OFF)