Not sure about 1, but there have been several threads on various free->paid
strategies. Search around and I'm sure you'll find something useful.

> 2) Regardless of the answer to 1, is it possible from within your own
> app to launch the market (in a new activity), where the user is taken
> directly to the app you want them to install?

Yes, look at the section in the docs about publishing. At the bottom of one
of those pages is a table with a bunch of URIs you can launch in an intent
that will start the Market app. You can search by developer, package, or app
name (I think). One (has "details" in it I think) will take you directly to
the app for a given package name.

3) As I understand it, there is no way to link directly to a market
> application, from a standard web page (for example if I want to
> promote an app from my website). Is that correct?

Yup, there's still no web-based version of the market. You can put a link to
the URI as described above and if clicked in an android browser, I think it
should work, but not otherwise. What I do is put a QR code that people can
scan with their phones to get directly to my app(s).